Butternut & Chickpea Dhal
A delicious and easy vegan meal that my whole family loves, especially my husband.
My husband has done two trip to Nepal, trekking in the Himalayans, and the staple diet there is rice and vegetable dhal, and he loves it. We aren't exclusively vegan but I try and make a vegan or vegetarian meal every second night and this is a weekly favourite. Be sure to use smoked paprika, it has way more flavour than normal paprika.
3 cloves of garlic
1 Butternut, cubed
1 red pepper (optional)
3/4 cup red lentils
1 tin chickpeas
A sachet of tomato paste
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 cups vegetable stock
Quinoa or basmati rice
Greens (baby spinach, kale, rocket, fresh herbs)
Coconut cream/Coconut yogurt/yogurt to serve
1. Fry the onion until translucent, and then add the garlic and fry for a few more minutes.
2. Add the spices and fry
3. Add the tomato paste and fry for a few more minutes.
4. Add the vegetable stock, lentils, chickpeas, butternut, pepper.
5. Cook on a low heat for at least an hour, but the longer the better, stirring occasionally to make sure the lentils don't burn on the bottom of the pot. You want the lentils to completely break down into a thick sauce.
6. Serve on a bed of rice or quinoa, topped with a large dollop of coconut cream and a side of fresh greens.
Toddler tip: I add a lot more coconut cream to my kids' to make the flavour a little more mild, and sometimes the tiniest drizzle of honey to sweeten it up slightly. I also cut the greens up into tiny pieces and stir them in.