Date & Almond Cookies
These are really just something sweet and chewy and relatively healthy for when you need a quick picnic treat, or a simple baking activity with your kids. The honey and dates are natural sugars but still sugar, so not for everyday, but fun for a treat. These are adapted from the Raising Superheroes Cookbook.
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup honey
100g almond flour
45g coconut flour
1 tsp of bicarb
A pinch of salt
8 - 10 dried dates.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a baking tray with a silicone sheet
2. Chop the dates into small pieces (my kids love to do this with scissors)
3. Melt the butter and honey together and then add the dates.
4. In a separate, large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well, until a soft ball of dough forms
6. Wrap up the the dough and leave it in the fridge for 15 minutes
7. Make 12 balls and lay them out on your baking sheet. Squash lightly with a fork.
8. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes until the are golden brown on top, be careful they don't burn underneath.
9. Let them cool before eating or transfering them.